In this session we will focus on financing the solar system, specifically how to choose the financing method for the solar system that best suits your homeowner’s wants and needs, and how to adjust your project commission. In ‘Building a Proposal in the App’, Parts I, II, & III we input a customer’s home address, updated energy usage to reflect actual annual kWh, and positioned solar panels on the home. Now, let’s show the customer project costs and monthly payments that support their decision to go solar and generate clean renewable energy.
When starting from the home screen, to access the financing details screen, tap the person and home icon. The ensuing screen shows a number of finance-related items. Each item in blue represents a link you can use to review and edit your customer’s solar system design.
Tap the name of the lender in blue, in this example, tap ‘Sunlight Financial .99% 20yr’ and this will take you to the ‘Financial Details’ screen.
3. Tap ‘’Contract Type’ to specify between paying via credit card/check, or by solar loan.
4. If using a solar loan, select ‘Loan Provider’ to explore the different funding partners whose lending instruments are available in your market. Note: Different financing partners operate in different states, so all providers available in the home’s area will automatically appear here. Be aware that each finance partner has their own application process that may involve using proprietary portals or websites. As needed, learn more about each partner, their offerings, and application/funding processes in separate complementary videos and articles.
5. Next, tap ‘Name’ to view, compare, and select the product’s financing term lengths and corresponding percentage rates. Make sure to compare varying loan products and the specific loan terms, percentage rates, applicable dealer fees, and how each affects the monthly loan payment for your customer to ultimately meet their financial expectations and objectives.
6. Tap ‘Calculate’ once you’ve made a selection and the app will auto-update to detail project costs reflecting the selected financing product. You can select any number of financing products each provider has, and to identify the best fit for your customer’s monthly payment and financial objectives.
Now, when thinking about your commission, Sales Teams will use one of two versions of the app, so let’s briefly look at each. At the bottom of the ‘Financial Details’ screen you will notice blue print for the link to edit commission amount or Target Cost.
7. Sales Teams will be able to input their desired price per watt (ppw) by simply tapping on the blue print at the bottom of the screen reading 'Update Target Cost'. A pop-up will appear requesting the sales rep to type in their desired PPW, and Elli will automatically calculate the total cost of the project, with financing fees included. Don’t forget to tap ‘save’ so your selection is saved and applied to the system’s pricing.
8. If your team modifies the project’s commission using the commission slider, scroll to the bottom of the financing details page and tap ‘Update Commission’. Then, slide the white circle to select the commission you feel is fair for the deal and the market. Elli will automatically build your commission into the contract. Don’t forget to tap ‘save’ so your selection is saved and applied to the system’s pricing.
Now that you know how to edit the loan information and update your commission, use the back button on the top left of the screen to go back to the main financing screen to write in any adders and their corresponding dollar amounts.
9. Solar Adders are extremely important to get right so these items and amounts are included in the proposal and contract to allow your customer to roll these into project financing, and ensure Clean.Tech’s Fulfillment Team has all of the information necessary to design and install the customer’s system without encountering project components and costs that require additional invoicing to your customer, or result in reductions of your commission.
Familiarize yourself with the full complement of ‘Adders’ by watching the corresponding video and referencing the article in our help center. Note, there are several Adders that do not automatically calculate by way of selections in the app.
Note: If you need to incorporate a re-roof into your customer’s solar project, see the ‘Combining a Roof Replacement With Solar’ video and article, as this is a significant expense, yet will not need to be included here, as a straight-forward Home Improvement Loan process with Sunlight Financial can easily accommodate roofing costs.
10. The Investment Tax Credit or ITC is located here, as it is important for your homeowner to be aware of this figure as they work with their tax professional to realize the full benefit of the ITC from a tax planning perspective.
11. Lastly, if additional state, municipal, or utility solar incentives are applicable for your customer’s project, they can be included here to be reflected in the cost of the solar system.
This is everything you need to know about adjusting project financing details in the app. Check out additional videos and articles in the help center for additional information about Adders and specific funding providers. And next, review the ‘Building a Proposal in the App’, Part V video and article to round out your solar design by learning how to share your proposal with your customer for their review and contract signature.